Pastor Robert E. Baines, Jr. was born September 6, 1966, in Buffalo, New York. After graduating with honors from the public school system, he served four years in the United States Air Force (i.e., 1984 – 1988). He is a family man. In 1984, he married the lovely former Daphene Tucker. To this union, two lovely daughters, Daphene and Desiraye, were born. He accepted the call to preach in 1984, was licensed in 1985, and was ordained in 1988. He served as an active associate minister in four Baptist churches. He pastored Mount Moriah Missionary Baptist Church, in Buffalo, New York (1990-1992), Tucker Missionary Baptist Church, in Syracuse, New York (1992-1995), and then the Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church, in Dayton, Ohio (1994 – 2009), before accepting the call to Pastor the Southern Baptist Church, in Cincinnati, Ohio (2009 – current).
Pastor Baines, Jr. earned an Associate Degree, in Business Management; a Bachelor Degree, in Community and Human Services; a Master Degree, in Pastoral Ministries; a Doctor of Divinity Degree, in Christian Family Studies; a Master of Divinity, with an emphasis on the New Testament Church; and a Doctorate of Ministry Degree, with a focus on economic and spiritual empowerment in Black churches. He has published a number of books on Amazon.com, the following are the most recent:
– How to Stay Focused: A Guide for Doing What Really Matters Most, In Spite of Distractions
– A Christian Perspective
– By the Grace of God: 25 Years of Pastoring Black Baptists
– Dealing With Difficult People: 31 Empowering Christian Devotionals For Those Dealing With Negative, Manipulative, or Mean People
He and his wife own and operate a website at www.RobertBaines.com that features quality and helpful Christian living information. Over 1,000 people from around the world receive Dr. Baines’ Sunday School notes each week.
Regarding his denominational work, he has served in numerous positions including being the former President of the North Western Baptist Association’s Congress of Christian Education and former Parliamentarian for the Ohio Baptist General Convention. He is a current member of the Cincinnati Baptist Minister’s Conference, the Concerned Clergy of Avondale, and the Collective Empowerment Group.
In the community, he has served in a number of positions including being the founder and former President of Macedonia Community Development Corporation and the former President of the Dayton Unit of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. He is a life member of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (affiliated with the Cincinnati unit) and a life member of the Avondale Community Council. He serves on the Avondale Choice Neighborhoods Steering Committee that involves over $29 million worth of Avondale development. He is a board member for the Avondale Comprehensive Development Corporation and a member of the Spiritual Advisory Board for CityLink.
Under Pastor Baines, Jr.’s leadership the Lord has blessed us.
- Over 680 people have been received as candidates for membership (as of 9/2017).
- The “Each Reach One,” Follow-up Evangelism, Community Evangelism, and Community Involvement Ministries were implemented.
- Growth Groups (i.e., relational study, prayer, fellowship, and service) were implemented on Wednesday and Sunday.
- The Membership Orientation Ministry was revamped, and the Training Union Ministry was implemented.
- There are weekly Pastoral teaching notes for Sunday School and Wednesday Bible Study in addition to the implementation of the Curriculum Committee and the “Every Member, Every Month” effort.
- The number of disciples (i.e., members who study, serve, and give) has grown to over 193 (from about 125 in 2008).
- The Men, Women, Senior, and Health Ministries were implemented. Periodic projects have been put in place aimed at enhancing our ministry to our married couples.
- Annual Historic Black Colleges and Universities, Avondale, and scholarship offerings were implemented. Annual financial support for Africa was reinstated and Haiti was implemented. Local partnerships were developed and nurtured, and the church was led into annual volunteer and donation drives to support organizations and worthy causes focused on Avondale and vicinity. As of October 2017, the church has volunteered more than 16,070 hours and gave over $101,576 in donations, since February 2009.
- After our Strategic Plan for 2014 period, our Strategic Plan for 2020 was implemented; the By-Laws were updated and enhanced; Pastor Search Committee Guidelines were adopted; greater transparency was established with financial reporting and goal accomplishment; repairs have been made to the building (e.g., roofs, ceiling, bathrooms, kitchen, awnings, TVs, parking lot, etc.; over $1,031,316 as of Sept. 2017); and the church’s $1,000,000 mortgage and debts were paid off in September 2014.
- Two preachers have been coached to earn their license to preach, one to be ordained, and two Deaconesses were ordained.
Obviously, it is only God who has supplied Pastor Baines, Jr. with such gifts of feeding and leading.